Friday, 14 January 2011

One year on

Well, it's been nearly a year since I started running seriously and thought I would just write an update to what has happened over the last 12 months and what is lined up for the future.
I only started running to get fit but one thing led to another and I ended up getting drawn into one event after another. The first event I registered for was the Paras 10 which was to be run in September. I then entered the Redcar ½ marathon in June as a training run and then decided to opt for a couple of 10ks just for the hell of it and also to get used to running in competition with other people.
Looking back to when I first started I couldn't even run ½ a mile without stopping or walking to get my breath back. Now I can run mile after mile and even run up some of the medium sized hills that we have in this part of the Yorkshire Dales. (Hopefully, this time next year I will be running up some of the more technical ones.)
Just goes to show, it doesn't matter how old you are, there is nothing stopping you from getting off the sofa, putting on a pair of running shoes, leaving the telly behind and getting out there and burning some calories. Not only will you lose weight but you will also feel a lot better for it. So start now but do it a bit at a time.



"There is nothing impossible to him who will try"

So what have I got lined up for the following year?
I have already booked my place in the Grimsthorpe ultra 70 on the 12th of August and I am hoping to run a few local long distance races leading up to the event.
Maybe something like the Wensleydale Wander. I walked this one last year and it takes in some of the great scenery you would expect in this part of the Yorkshire Dales. An easy 22 mile route with one major climb about 1/3rd of the way round. And then there is Osmotherly phoenix. 17/26 or 33 miles around the North York Moors. This is just over a month before Grimsthorpe so not sure whether it is a good idea to do the 33 miler.
Then there are some excellent local long distance footpaths to look at, such as the 38 mile 6 dales trail.
With or without these events I still need to start running longer and longer mileages but with my 80 year old mother in hospital with a broken hip I am finding it hard to fit the time in. that's one reason why I have started running to work, (just to get the weekly miles in and hopefully get at least one long run in on a weekend.)

So that's it then. Let's all find that little extra time, get our running shoes on, and get out there and run our hearts out”

No comments:

Post a Comment