Friday, 17 June 2011

Recce run for the Osmotherley Phoenix

Set out from Clay Bank car park this morning with clear blue sky's again but it wasn't long before the clouds started to roll in from the south. Left the car park and got strait into the first climb of the day which followed the Cleveland Way onto Ura Moor then checked out the trig point which is self clip CP-4 then retraced my steps for a couple of hundred yards before heading off across the moor towards the village of Clap Gate.
The car park here is CP-5 so after some refreshment it was onward and upward once again and out onto the Cleveland Hills. I'm just glad I had my treking poles with me to pull myself up that bitch of a climb onto the moor. (It will be worse on the day as I will probably have tiered lags by then).
Once on the moor it was an easy run across the top and nice decent down to Wheat Beck (CP-6).
Now it was just a matter of retracing my steps so tried out the Garmin navigation which was spot on and even told me when a turn was coming up.
By the time I'd got back onto the moor the wind had got up even more but it wasn't a problem as it just served to keep me cool and luckily the rain that was forecast didn't arrive.
Back at Clap Gate, I realised I was running out of time as I had other arrangements at home so I decided to just follow the road back to the car park.
That wasn't an easy task as there was a motorcycle rally on at Helmsley and I think every motorcyclist in Teeside was heading that way, so it was one mad and noisy road.
Back at the car park I me one of the riders who just happened to be a runner so we talked for quite a while and he couldn't get over the fact that I was about to run 33 miles over that terrain. (I just had to tell him I was planning on doing 70 miles later in the year. “That made his mouth open a little”).
If I get chance, I want to go back next week and check out the terrain between CP-6 and CP-7 as there is a lot of field work to navigate through. The rest of the route shouldn't be too bad as most of it follows the Cleveland Way.

I have to put my hand up now and admit that I only ran the easy bits and walked all the uphill sections but that is how it will be on the day to save energy and hopefully get round in the given time of 10 hours.
The elapsed time on the Garmin was 05:21:08 but the actual moving time was 03:55:20 which shows how much time I lost looking at the map and sorting myself out during the day. Hopefully I can keep going on the day and get in in fairly comfortable time.
I actually kept the pace at 4.4 mph and that would be good enough to get me to the finish in 7.5 hours.
I also did 3000 feet of climbing today and with the whole 33 mile event only covering 4000 feet then that is also looking good.

BRING ON THE ULTRA BABY”, “BRING IT ON”

Check out the map of the route and all the fine details including elevation and split times etc at my Garmin page

No comments:

Post a Comment