Sunday, 12 June 2011

Redcar ½ marathon 2011

After getting up at 7:00am, downing a small portion of corn flakes and a couple of coffee's it was time to hit the road. I arrived at Redcar collage car park about 8:20 and after checking that I had everything in the bag that I needed I jumped on the race shuttle bus and was at the start line at around 8:45. I checked my bag into the baggage drop area and made my way down to the coast road where the race would start. A couple of short runs the top of the sand dunes and some other warm up exercises and it was time to get into position. Not wanting to get drawn into a fast start I joined the runners in the mid field section.
As the gun went off we headed away from Redcar towards Marske before doing a U turn and made our way back towards Redcar so as we crossed the start line going the right way we had already done over 2 miles. There was a southerly wind blowing on our backs so the first 4 miles I ran these first miles a fairly fast pace but the sun was shining in a clear blue sky so as we started to run inland it got rather warm but out on the dual carriageway the clouds started to come in thick and fast and it was a relief for the sun to be covered now and then. The roundabout at the entrance to the steel works was the turning point and it was nice to see all the other runners behind me coming the other way. At this point I backed off the pace intentionally to try and save some energy for the final couple of miles through Redcar and along the sea front. Once on the sea front the wind came back to bight me in the arse as it was now a head wind and I was having to work even harder to keep a PB pace going. Once out of Redcar and back on the Marske road it wasn't long before the finish line came into view and time for one last push to to get that PB and also, I didn't want to be seen lagging with the crowd of supporters now getting thicker. As the clock came into view it was looking close to losing that PB so one final push over the line gave me a chip time of 02:03:22. (1min 31 sec faster than last year). So I was happy to get that PB even though I was looking for something under 2 hours but with the heat on the way out and and the head wind on the way back that sub 2 just wasn't to be.
My chip position made me 825th out of 1191 finishers and included beating quite a few younger runners.

Next race is in 3 weeks time and I'm now getting more nervous as that one will be 33 miles of trail running in the Osmotherley Phoenix which takes me over the North Yorkshire Moors and my first ultra.

Congratulations to Greame Taylor (no relation) for winning the race in 1:11:07 almost a minute ahead of David Kirkland in second.

See the route and details of the run on my Garmin page

1 comment:

  1. First ultra on the horizon eh??? Lovely, you will never go back to the shorter races after that ;) Great job today Kevin.

    ReplyDelete